PLASTIC ODYSSEY

around the world powered by plastic


The first round-the-world expedition aboard a vessel that uses plastic as a fuel

A UNIQUE BOAT

Plastic Odyssey is a 25m long vessel that will be solely powered by plastics. The wastes will be harvested onshore during each call, then stored onboard, to finally be transformed into fuel and power the ship’s engines.

A WORLD PREMIERE EXPEDITION

The vessel will achieve the first round-the-world expedition using plastic waste as a fuel, to show that it’s too valuable to enter our oceans.

REDUCE PLASTIC POLLUTION AND ALLEVIATE POVERTY AT THE SAME TIME

Behind this challenge, a panel of open source plastic-recycling machines will be built and tested onboard.The expedition is an opportunity to face realities on the ground and adapt the solutions to local needs.These technologies will be spread all over the world to create jobs locally while cleaning up our environment.

0

years expedition

0

major ports of call

0

nautical miles


Goals

Demonstrate and raise awareness

Understand local recycling cultures

Initiate human scale projects

TIME BEFORE DEPARTURE:


An ocean of garbage

TODAY, POLLUTION IS THREATENING THE BLUE LUNG OF OUR PLANET. EVERY MINUTE, 18 TONS OF PLASTIC ENTER THE OCEANS, AND THIS FIGURE IS CONSTANTLY INCREASING.
Scientific studies show that 1% of these wastes actually float on or near the surface. The remaining 99% sink or break down into microparticles to litter the deep sea.
image : What Lies Under Ferdi Rizkiyanto - 2001
The 7th continent of plastic is only the tip of the iceberg. To fight against this pollution, the problem needs to be treated at its root.
Image : Jorge Gamboa


Explorers

Merchant navy officer, ENSM - Awarded by the french ministry of environment
Simon Bernard

COFOUNDER – COMMUNICATION & VISION

Several decades will be needed before wastes disappear. We cannot afford to wait. Effects need to be limited by developing transition solutions”

Merchant navy officer, ENSM - Founder of Greenactive
Alexandre Dechelotte

COFOUNDER – SOCIAL IMPACT LEADER

“Plastic Odyssey is the hope of acting against poverty while using an unknown ressource: plastic wastes.”

Country director, USA at agorize - ESSEC & ICAM alumnus
Benjamin de Molliens

PARTNERSHIPS

Founder of makesense peru - ICAM alumnus
Bob Vrignaud

ENGINEERING


“Plastic is too valuable to enter our oceans”

L’association

Plastic Odyssey, association à but non lucratif et déclarée d’intérêt général, a été créée en mars 2017 et a pour mission d’agir pour la protection des mers et océans contre la pollution plastique. Elle encadre le projet et garantit le respect des valeurs tout au long de l’aventure :  

Environnement

Nature – Océan – Réduction de la pollution

Innovation

Technologie – Human centered design – Low-tech

Partage

Open-source – Co-développement – Pédagogie


They support us

Follow us on twitter

Sunday, April 22nd, 2018 at 5:57pm
This year’s edition of @EarthDayNetwork is dedicated to one of the biggest challenges of our time: ending plastics waste. We’d like to introduce some members of the Solar Impulse Foundation’s World Alliance for Efficient Solutions. #earthday https://t.co/3hqbtaDRkf https://t.co/wnJ2nnn9tB
Sunday, April 22nd, 2018 at 3:33am
Earth day! We're proud to be part of so many planet-friendly projects like @SeaBubbles and @PlasticOdyssey! 🚤🔋⚡️💙🌎
Tuesday, April 17th, 2018 at 9:25pm
. @simn_bernard, co-fondateur de @PlasticOdyssey, premier bateau propulsé par des déchets plastiques : "Ce bateau c'est une sorte de laboratoire du recyclage" #E1CC https://t.co/QhdTFIWg9D
Tuesday, April 17th, 2018 at 9:23pm
#PlasticOdyssey En direct sur @Europe1, @simn_bernard annonce la mise à l'eau du bateau démonstrateur de @PlasticOdyssey le 15 juin prochain à #Concarneau @FondsExplore @brunepoirson
Tuesday, April 17th, 2018 at 9:15pm
Comment sauver nos océans du plastique ? On en parle tout de suite sur @Europe1 avec :
➡️ @simn_bernard, co-fondateur de @PlasticOdyssey, premier bateau propulsé par des déchets plastiques
➡️ @LionelCheylus, responsable de l’antenne bénévole de @SurfriderParis
#E1CC https://t.co/rL2aUSWNLP
Votre nom *
Votre e-mail *
Votre message